In 1950, when Dr. Goldner completed his formal orthopaedic training at Duke and joined the Duke staff which consisted of Lenox Baker as Chief and Bev Raney as half time, it was apparent to him that as residents left the Training Program, contributions to the program would be less and less if a cohesive organization was not formed. Dr. Goldner sought the support of other Duke trainees Walter A. Hoyt, Jr. of Akron, Jack Hughston of Columbus, Georgia, and Ned Shutkin of New Haven, Connecticut in order to form the Piedmont Orthopedic Society. This name was selected because of the geographic region and the fact that Duke was at the base of the mountains. In 1951 the Piedmont Orthopedic Society was formally established with the major goals to maintain a cohesive group of alumni who communicate at regular intervals and to have an annual scientific meeting. The Society currently consists of over 650 United States and International members.